This recipe was inspired by Tasty and these bite-sized recipe videos have really become addictive. Because they are so short, you can literally spend a free minute learning a new recipe and these recipes are often quite manageable. So inspiring for cooks out there or even those who are thinking of venturing into cooking. I have always been hesitant about baking but this was relatively easy.
You can watch the video on this link: https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/videos/1749636961955612/
I adjusted it, since I had one cinnamon roll pack. In case you are wondering, I got it from Ben’s Grocer at Publika since some other supermarkets are likely to not have it. Credits to Buzzfeed’s Tasty Page for this recipe. 🙂
- 1 pack of cinnamon roll dough with icing
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red apple, diced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Cut the cinnamon roll dough into 3 even strips, then cut those strip in 3 pieces, making 9 pieces total per cinnamon roll. Set aside the icing.
- Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, and extract and stir until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- In a pan , combine butter, apples, and brown sugar, cooking until sugar starts to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon roll dough pieces evenly in a baking tray. (The recipe called for a 9×9, but I used a shallow rectangular pan and it was fine too.)
- Pour the egg mixture on top, followed by the apples. (Since I used less quantities of some ingredients, it was important to make sure the liquid flooded the bottom of the pan.)
- Bake until golden brown and this will take about 25-30 minutes. Drizzle with the icing and then serve with ice cream.
Verdict: I need to do this “caramelizing” thing a few more times before I completely get the hang of it. Our friends seemed to like it though, so maybe it can be an idea for a quick dessert fix or even as comfort food some days at home.
Hope you enjoy it!