If there is one thing we all probably know about strawberries, it’s that they ripen pretty fast and you will see the bruises within a few days of buying them. There are many strawberry jam recipes online and they suggest the use of pectin for better jams, but since I did not want to over-complicate things, decided to make it without pectin! I referred to links such as this one and added some stuff:
Martha Stewart also has a simple recipe for strawberry jam without pectin.
This is what the different stages of the process looked like, I have included the recipe as follows:
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- If using frozen strawberries, let them thaw naturally.
- Mash strawberries or blend them. I mashed and also whizzed it for a few seconds in the blender, till it was chunky. This depends on what texture you would like the jam to be.
- Mix in the sugar with the strawberries and let it sit for 2 hours. Add in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Add strawberry mixture to a skillet and cook slow over medium heat until it boils, stirring often. Keep going till the bubbles completely cover the surface and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer into a jar. Stir in the chia seeds and let it sit until it cools down to room temperature.
- Stick it into the fridge. The recipes say that it can keep for a few weeks, but am yet to see about that one. 🙂