Sometimes during the week, when we decide to eat at home or cook, I would buy something from the grocery store beforehand. Or there would be some stuff already in the fridge, ready to be cooked. However, today like some days, was one where there really was not all that much in the fridge and we decided to make do.
So I decided to make pasta, and this one’s called the ”I forgot to go grocery shopping” pasta. Think it is handy to have some staples like pasta, dry herbs, onions, garlic, maybe some seafood or chicken for emergencies like these haha. If you look at Italian history, pasta originated because they were not doing so well and it was a way for them to use leftovers etc for a hearty meal. I guess you could also make fried noodles or fried rice, come to think of it, but I only remembered pasta today! This is what it looked like…
It’s a lot like the aglio olio recipes. Anyway, the recipe is as follows (serves 2):
- Some seafood/chicken (I used leftover prawns)
- One long red chilli
- 5 garlic cloves
- Black pepper + Salt
- Olive Oil
- Dry Italian herbs, like oregano etc (I used dry basil + parsley and they came in bottles)
- Boil pasta in water according to directions, with some olive oil and salt.
- Separately, wash and clean the prawns. I marinaded it with a few drops of sesame oil,dry basil and salt for a few minutes.
- Slice up the garlic cloves and chilli and heat olive oil in a pan. Don’t be too stingy with the olive oil. Ensure pan is on medium heat.
- Put garlic and chilli into oil and stir till fragrant. Add in the prawns and stir for 2 minutes.
- You will see some juice seeping out of the prawns and they tend to dry out fast. I added the pasta while this juice was still in the pan for more flavor.
- Stir everything till prawns become pinkish red and add a little bit of water (maybe 1/3 a cup. Some recipes advice using the water you used to boil the pasta, but I am not sure if it makes any difference).
- Add in the dry herbs and season with salt and black pepper.
- Ta-da! Time to eat. 🙂
Think it would also taste nice with maybe some squeezes of lemon juice, tomatoes or capsicum peppers for that citrus-ey, tangy taste… If you have those, maybe would be better to put less black pepper into the cooking. Also, add the capsicum peppers and tomatoes in after the prawns and pasta so it does not dry out so quickly. If any of you guys happen to try it out, please let me know how it goes!
”To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.” – Thomas Edison