Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 pack minced beef
5-6 cloves garlic
1 big red onion
Parmesan cheese + different cheeses if you prefer
Salt + Black Pepper
1 big bottle Prego/other pasta sauce (Any tomato ones, like – Mushroom, Garlic, Plain)
1 small yellow can Prego sauce (cheese sauce)
A little bit of water
- Chop up onion and garlic. Cut tomatoes into wedges and defrost the beef.
- Boil spaghetti/pasta till soft and drain. You can add 1 tsp of oil and some salt to water while boiling so it does not stick to the pot. Transfer pasta to another bowl.
- Heat oil in the pot (medium heat) and then put in the garlic and onion. Stir until fragrant and onion becomes soft. (Don’t burn it!)
- Add the beef in and stir till redness of beef goes away. It’s alright if there is the juice from the meat, it adds to the flavour and be careful to not let the beef dry out. Season with parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Add in spaghetti/pasta and stir for a bit.
- Add big Tomato Prego sauce and small yellow can Prego sauce. Stir till even and if too thick, add a little bit of water.
- Add tomatoes and season as you go along. Add sugar if you like.
- Add the cheese and more parsley if you like.
Ta-da! You’re done!
- It’s better to cook the ingredients for a bit (like mentioned above) before putting in the pasta and sauce into the same pan because there is more flavour than if you were to cook the ingredients separately. Better to not switch pans so you don’t lose some flavor.
- If you feel confident, you can try also blending some fresh tomatoes and onion into a paste. You would add this after the beef has been cooked a bit at step 4. Gives some freshness and a bit of a kick. *You still add the prego sauces, of course*
- If too salty, the sugar can help reduce the saltiness. But remember to always add little by little (meaning half teaspoons) while you season. Once the pasta cools down, it could be slightly saltier than when you tasted it while cooking.
- If you want to make baked pasta, just follow the above steps. At step 8, you put it into a pan and top with mozzarella cheese then bake in oven till cheese melts and browns slightly. Should be about 150-170 degrees Celsius for about 15-20 minutes. You can also mix different cheeses like cheddar with the mozzarella.